Apr 26, 2013

A Super Quick Four Free Things

Four Free Things is a (mostly) weekly feature here on The Green Gazelle. Each Friday, I share four free or almost free things I hope to do over the weekend and upcoming week. Share the free or cheap things you've got planned in the comments section of this post.

Wowsers, do I have a lot to do. My semester is winding down so my work load is ramping up. Frankly, I'm not going to have a whole lot of time for fun this weekend. So here are my small four free things for the next few busy days, all meant to make my life a little less stressful. (Neighborday will have to be celebrated belatedly for me, after graduation. You, however, should go ahead with your gathering as planned...and tell me about it in the comments below!)

1. Meditation
I'm going to make a concerted effort to spend five minutes a day meditating between now and whenever I get done with all of my homework. I think I'll appreciate the mind clearing, this week more than ever.

2. House Cleaning - for 15 minutes a day
I find that when I'm way behind and a deadline is looming, I get really distracted by a dirty house. It most certainly comes from my need to procrastinate, but still, it is there. So I very much enjoy a clean house, and cleaning, when I'm swamped. No other time, mind you. Just when it is crucial I focus on something else. My husband gets a real kick out of this quirk.

Of course, I'm not going into this week with a clean house... and I am already getting distracted by it. So to help me get the tidy environment conducive to studying without blowing an entire day finding new things to clean, I'm going to do a mad fifteen-minute pickup/cleanup of one room a day. With music. Because that makes me move faster. (Just try creating a Soup Dragons channel on Pandora, and tell me you don't find tons of hidden energy.) Bonus—we have a fairly small, four room + hallway apartment. Four rooms, four days. Boom.

3. Coffee Time
I spend way too much time online. Again, a procrastination technique—the internet is an endless supply of new information to learn.

I also happen to love (LOVE) my morning coffee time. I spend a fair share of it feeling a bit guilty, or giving myself just a few more minutes before I will go get something done, but inevitably failing to get my ass in gear.

So I'm going to kill two birds with one stone. I'm going to let myself enjoy coffee time. For a whole hour. Each morning. Guilt free. But that is the only time that I can make non-homework related internet visits for the day. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

4. 9 o'clock Bedtime
"WHAT?" you say. "That is no fun at all." But it is.

Really.

I usually don't get enough sleep. My body needs a minimum of 8 hours, and preferably 9. By allowing myself the luxury of going to bed early, I am setting myself up for a much more pleasant morning and productive day. I'm in!

What are you focusing on this week? Are you incorporating new things into your schedule, or eliminating others? Do you have anything fun planned for the weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment