May 24, 2013

Four Free Things: May 24, 2013

These lovely ivy cuttings have started to root
and are just about ready to be planted.

A great big thanks and welcome to all those who recently found the green gazelle! You can read this post to learn how it came to be, and this one to hear why it came back to life after I fell off the debt reduction wagon for a spell. If you are a new reader, I'd love to hear how you found me in the comments. I hope you enjoy today's post!


Four Free Things is a (mostly) weekly feature here on The Green Gazelle. Each Friday, I share four free or almost free things I hope to do over the weekend and upcoming week. Share the free or cheap things you've got planned in the comments section of this post.

Happy Friday once again! With the weather turning this side of beautiful, finding free or inexpensive things to do is so much easier. There are walks and bike rides to be had, reading to be done by the river or lake, photographs to be taken, and friends to visit. What kinds of things are you up to that aren't costing much?

Here are some fun, free-ish things I thought might be fun this week. Hopefully I'll get to partake in a couple of them.


Planting
I'll be planting some houseplants this weekend. English Ivy cut from the side of our building, melon seeds sent to me by my dear auntie, a couple of ground covers given away for free on craigslist. I'll need to purchase soil and find some containers to repurpose, but I'm looking forward to cleaner air!

Designing Summer Solstice Cards
I'm doing it. I'm sending out cards for the solstice. I hope to decide on a handmade design this week, and then make and send them in early June. You'll see the final product here after the solstice (which is Friday, June 21 — what are your plans?)

Reading
Perhaps because of all of the reading I've had to do for school the past two years, I have been finding it difficult to pick up my book. This weekend... 100 pages. My own personal reading challenge.

Shopping
Wait — how did shopping get on my free list? Well, a few years back I got an REI Visa card which we put most of our groceries on throughout the year. We get 1% back in the form of a dividend we can spend at REI. Now, I'm not advocating for credit cards, I'm really not. I'd be better off without it. Since I have it, though, and put groceries (and more) on it last year, we've got credit at REI. And I could really use a pair of free yoga pants (and B needs socks).

So, spill. What inexpensive or free things are you doing this weekend/week? What do you wish you were doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment